Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lots of Updates...

We had our big 8 month follow up clinic yesterday in Duluth. (8 months adjusted age). It went well, but man, it's a LONG day! Hard on the boys. Our appointment was scheduled for 11:30 and we didn't even get checked into a room until 12:30! Unfortunately the boys we so happy and ready to see everyone while we waited for the first hour and then kind of went downhill from there. They did okay though, and we made it through! Best part, as usual is visiting all of our NICU staff friends. I still miss them all!


The stats... Luke is now 15 lbs 3 oz and Max is 16 lbs 12 oz. I can't remember their lengths. I will have to check that and get it up here soon. Overall, they were pleased with the boys' progress. It was nice to hear that the boys are big enough! So nice when you go to a clinic that specializes in preemies and they give you the percentile for height to weight ratio instead of just weight percentiles. Both boys are around the 30th percentile for their height to weight ratio. They might be little, but they are growing steady and they are proportionate at least! The neonatologist reminded me too that the percentile charts are based on formula fed babies and said to remember that breastfed babies are generally smaller, so not to get discouraged. Phew! :)


In other news from the visit, they once again addressed Luke's high tone issues. He is tense, really, an easy way to put it. The therapist gave us some tips and tricks to work with and we will just be patient and see how he does! She was pleased with the boys' other skills as far as fine motor skills and other cognitive things!


As of this week I should also be reporting that Max is working on his forth tooth and his new trick is that he can sit on his own. By that I mean he can get into a sitting position from his tummy, he's been sitting unassisted for a few months. I found him practicing today, as you can see by the picture below. He was crawling around making a mess of my nice folded laundry and then I found him sitting under the coffee table. He thought he was pretty tricky! :)



Their favorite 'new' toy from their cousins' stash!


All ready to head to Johnny's for his big 1st birthday celebration! We had a blast!





We took the boys SWIMMING for the first time tonight! They did great and LOVED the water! Luke did a little better than Max. He had fun splashing everyone!



The boys in their sweet speedos! Luke was not nearly as terrified as he looks here... just anxious to get back IN!



Max with his Aunty Rach...


Happy boys, ready for bed after a swim!





I love being a mom... way more fun than I ever imagined!!! It's almost as if you get to experience life for the first time... all over again! Everything is just that much more exciting through their eyes. I am just thankful daily that God has blessed me with these two perfect little boys. I can't help but think that things could have turned out so much worse... as we were driving in the parking ramp on Tuesday a flood of emotions hit me. It almost felt like I got punched in the stomach. It is hard, bittersweet really to return to the hospital for visits. I feel like I go back to last summer immediately. So many good memories, the feelings of being a mom instantaneously, and the struggles of how things would turn out, but also the anticipation and joy that came with it all. I can't wait to have a summer this year. Feels so strange that I was literally in a hospital last year from the middle of May until the middle of August. Can't wait to enjoy the summer with MY family! All I can say is... the power of prayer and God's provision is amazing. GOOD NIGHT! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment