Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Effects of Caffine...

I apologize in advance if this post ends up being a little all over the place. Some people can drink a cup of coffee in the late afternoon and fall asleep on the couch that evening while watching Dancing With the Stars and talking on the phone at the same time... Mom... but others can feel its caffeinated wrath for hours and hours later... that would be me! Good news, I'm getting some things done around the house!
Caleb and I have been talking a lot lately about the boys' personalities. Just the other day I was saying that if I had to use one word to describe each of my boys it would be "tuffy" or "brute" for Luke and "sweetheart" for Max. Luke is just that, TOUGH! He's always ready for a fight and always on the look-out for trouble! He eggs his brother on and never hesitates to throw a grunt or two into any conversation. He is just so funny! He's always on his toy four wheeler or in his "little tikes" car making the most realistic sounds! Luke is also IN LOVE with snowmobiles and any type of motor. He comes unglued when he hears his dad start his sled in the garage and like I said before, for a 20 month old his motor sounds are amazing! He varies his little vroom-vroom to sound different for cars, trucks, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, etc! But one of my favorite things he has been doing lately is finding me... then making a little grunt to get my attention and then giving me the sweetest smile when I glance at him. It's almost as if he is reassuring himself that I'm still paying attention!
So, about my sweetheart. I mean that in more ways than one. Max is just a big-old softy! With his brother he is always so quick to share and always finds Luke's blankie and then is so excited to give it to him. He also is quick to dramatize ouchies and really soakes up hugs and kisses. He also loves all the trucks and cars that Luke loves, but Max is just so much more relaxed about it all. I can see Luke someday having a tricked-out muscle car and Max being completely content in a practical, safe and reliable sedan! Ha ha! They are just so different, and that makes them so fun! Max also has been giving me the sweetest little long distance glances and is so quick to giggle when he sees me smile back and better yet, rarely ever denies me a kiss when I ask. (As for Luke, it is so rare if I ever get a kiss!)

So sweet to find the boys just tucked under the couch playing together.


Out for a little sled ride!




I'm amazed Caleb got this old sled to run!! He said it can be the boys' someday... ha ha!



You would never be able to tell by the pictures how much they love this, but trust me... they do!!
Also, I just finished my book that I was telling you about... Loving the Little Years... and I found something that really hit home with me tonight. Caleb and I were just talking today and I was telling him how I can get frustrated with being a stay-at-home-mom at times. I know that it's totally normal, but I was voicing to him some of my frustrations... and I came across this on the last page of my book tonight...
"Everyone to whom God has given wealth, and possessions, and the power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil--this is the gift of God. For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart." (Eccl. 5:19)
She goes on to say...
Blessing, like children, are not ethereal and weightless. Sometimes they feel like they come at you like a Kansas hail storm -- they might leave a welt! But if you accept your lot and rejoice in your toil, God will give you the kind of overwhelming joy that cannot remember the details. Motherhood is hard work. It is repetitive and often times menial. Accept it. Rejoice in it. This is your toil. Right here. Those are the faces. Enjoy them. The days of your life are supposed to be full of things like this. But joy is not giddy. It is not an emotional rush -- it is what happens when you accept your lot and rejoice in your toil. So rejoice in your children. Look them in the eyes and give thanks. You will not even remember the work of all this planting when the harvest of joy overwhelms you.
I just loved that! Hit me right where I was at and it is really applicable no matter what your lot or toil is. So today I thank God for my double trouble full of love and giggles lots and toils! :)


1 comment:

  1. I love the last part! Thanks--being a mom (being a parent) is not for the faint of heart. I oftentimes find myself thinking of all the sacrifices that I've made to be at home. Then, I read something like this, and KNOW that I am exactly where I should be, and feel horrible for even feeling sorry for myself! One day, when they are grown, and gone, I know that I will give anything to be exactly where I am now--with these two little people at home, all together!

    ReplyDelete